OK, now I'm scared.  It's fixed and I can't figure out why?  Earlier I made
the change to make sure that securityfilter came before I18NFilter in the
chain but the text was still showing up French.  I put a bunch of debugging
code in (over hours and many, many tests) and now I can't reproduce the
problem, even after I've pulled out all my debugging code (thinking
something in there might have had an unanticipated side-effect).  Thanks for
everybody's help and I'll definitely let everyone know if I figure out what
I did.
 (*Chris*)