That worked a treat... thanks for the quick response.
I did a quick check with <html:text /> and <html:checkbox /> and the *hack*
seems to work there too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Smoak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 November 2006 17:08
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: <html:form> without writing a <form> in the resultant HTML

On 11/10/06, Lance Semmens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. Can I use struts tags (eg <html:select>) without wrapping them in an
>
> 2. Can I wrap my tags in <html:form> but somehow not output <form> to the
> resultant HTML.
>
> I was hoping for a render="false" or similar. eg:

> Any other suggestions welcome.

Officially... http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-taglib/tlddoc/html/select.html

"This tag is only valid when nested inside a form tag body."

What happens if you leave off <html:form> and use the 'name' attribute
of the select tag?  If the form bean (or some other bean) is in scope,
it might work.  I'd also review the code for the select tag and see
what else it expects to get from the enclosing form tag.

'name' - The attribute name of the bean whose properties are consulted
to determine which option should be pre-selected when rendering this
input field. If not specified, the bean associated with the enclosing

--
Wendy