thank you all very much for your help.. finally got it to work w/struts 1.1 (I had tried earlier version before, but 1.2.9, since hadn't been able to find 1.1....)

now need to deal w/WAR-file thing, unfortunately don't know how to unpack/deploy WAR files.. I tried about a year ago to learn to use WAR files, couldn't get it to work.. there is indeed a struts-documentation.war in the 1.1 download.. found WAR-file instructions for example here, http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=123229, but it's for tomcat 3.2.. I hope this will work on Tomcat 5.5 (since struts 1.1 is rather old..) can I assume url for docs then will be struts-documentation/index.jsp?

how exactly does this WAR-thing work???  :) again, thank you very much..