Hi,
As per my knowledge, what you have to do is opening an out stream from your
action.
 Something like...

response.setContentType("application/x-file-download");

                        response.setHeader(
                                "Content-disposition",
                                "attachment; filename=" + "Appfile.xml);
                        response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "max-age=" +
20000);

                        ServletOutputStream outStream = null;
                        try {
                                outStream = response.getOutputStream();
                        } catch (IOException e1) {

e1.printStackTrace();
                        }

//call to your backend to get the real out stream for this file..
try {
                                getFileData(outStream);  //write the
outstraem here..
                        } catch (FileNotFoundException e2) {
                                        e2.printStackTrace();
                        }

//and finally

                        try {

                                outStream.flush();
                        } catch (IOException e3) {

                                e3.printStackTrace();
                        }

                        return null;  //return Null...so that user will see
a Download popup...

Thanks & regards,
Mano