What's the standard definition of the end of a session. That is, if there's
no session.invalidate() call, how should servlets (esp the struts servlet)
decide that a request is part of a new session? Where is this discussed -
some tutorial or documentation on the web?

I have a struts application where the request.session object seems to be
ending between actions. That is one action forwards to another action and
when the request eaches the 2nd action the session no longer contains what
it clearly had in the first session. This has only happened with IE 7. It
doesn't happen when Firefox is used and doesn't seem to happen with older
versions of IE tho I'm not completely sure of that.

Any thoughts?