I just got around to watching this JSF presentation with Ed Burns..
http://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=lobby.jsp&eventid=25412&sessionid=1&partnerref=atssc_sitepost_01_16_07&key=1C3610AF899E09A2EFD26F0FD6B7875E&eventuserid=9113781
(the transcript you can view also). What is funny is this exact
master-detail-situation is one of the things I found so frustrating
about JSF (at least he admits it should be made easier). Almost all
the tutorials (back when I was looking at JSF) always seemed to skip
the "basic" CRUD concepts which really annoyed me. Why not show
examples of what 99% of the developers are going to need to do with
the framework?

<transcirpt snippet>

18. TSS.com: I am sure it will be. Also looking around the educational
efforts, the patterns and the blueprints around JSF, tend to avoid a
lot of fairly simple patterns such as a simple master detail. It
certainly shows lists, but not actually doing the crud around…

Ed Burns: Right.

19. TSS.com: … master detail. Why -- I mean shouldn't that be normal for --?

Ed Burns: I agree. The master-detail pattern is something that is a
core thing, you most web apps do that. And as it turns out, I think
one of the most difficult -- one of the reasons why it's not included
so much is the lack of a conversation scope. With master-detail, you
often have one page that's your master page and then a separate page,
that's your detail page. You need to convey that information what have
I chosen to drill down on and the absence of the conversation scope
where you can say, okay, I am going to put this here and I want this
to exist for the next request, what we have in the JSF Extensions
Project I am working on is a simple Flash Ruby on Rails style Flash
thing, where you put data in the Flash and it exists for the next
request only and once you have that master-detail is simple and
trivial, so…

20. TSS.com: So master-detail is not simple and trivial now or --?

Ed Burns: Well, there are some other ways to do it now. You have to
use an F: parameter tag to attach the value to a component. So -- but
it's not as easy as it should be.