On 2/9/07, Nathan Coast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
thanks Niall,

I've had a look at the examples and I'm not sure they demonstrate what I
need.  The examples all seem to be simple boolean expressions e.g.

       <field property="address1" depends="validwhen">
         <arg key="validWhenForm.address1" />
         <var>
           <var-name>test</var-name>
           <var-value>( (*this* != null) or
                      ( (address2 == null) and
                      ( (city == null) and
                        (zip == null) )))</var-value>
         </var>
       </field>

I have a select (fieldB) that determines the type of fieldA. So the
validation to operate on fieldA depends on the value of fieldB.

       <field property="fieldA" depends="validwhen,required">
         <arg key="form.fieldA" />
         <var>
           <var-name>test</var-name>
           <var-value>
      ((fieldB == 'java.lang.Integer') && validateInteger(fieldA))
   || ((fieldB == 'java.lang.Float') && validateFloat(fieldA))
   || ((fieldB == 'java.util.Date') && validateDate(fieldA))
etc....
         </var>
       </field>

The above looks like JavaScript - because validwhen is server side
only. Either way validwhen doesn't cater for doing different types of
validation (e.g. integer, float etc) depending on a value.

is this possible?  I'm thinking not, so a custom validation method is
probably what I need.

Looks like it

Niall

cheers