Piero Sartini wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007 schrieb Ian Roughley:
You probably don't need to send it to an action, you just need to render
the HTML form for authentication.  So, login.jsp would suffice.  As far
as s2 is concerned, authentication is completely external.  The role
interceptor just uses the HttpServletRequest to obtain the roles that
the current user is logged in under.

If security is completely external, what is the Interceptor for?
Authentication is external - not security. The interceptor is there to provide the users role (from authenticating) to the action, so the action can use it to provide the security constraints that you want in your application.
Defining a SecurityConstraint in the web.xml file will prevent unauthorized access as well, wouldnt it?
Yes.
(It seems to be the wrong way to me - I define the actions in struts.xml, I do not see the point to include them in web.xml as well for security)
It's all about options. I use the web.xml to secure directories, then roles in the action / pages to provide finer level of control.
But the interceptor just responds a 403 if the user is not authoriuzed - is there no possibility to present another action in this case (the login form?).

Or do I misunderstand this whole thing completely?

----- code -----
    <security-constraint>
        <display-name>Constraint1</display-name>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>profile</web-resource-name>
            <description>change user profile</description>
            <url-pattern>/EditProfile_input.action</url-pattern>
            <http-method>GET</http-method>
            <http-method>POST</http-method>
            <http-method>HEAD</http-method>
            <http-method>PUT</http-method>