Can you post a copy of the page? We really need to drum up a set of
benchmarks to run ourselves, and this type of page sounds like it
would be a good test case.

Back in the day, there was a common phenomenon where if a page hit
fifty JSP tags, performance suddenly bottomed out. I wonder if some of
these reports are based on some other magic number being hit.

When people do report benchmarks, Struts 2 and WebWork come back
neck-and-neck. There are many thousands of responsive and attractive
WebWork applications in production today, including Confluence and
JiveForums.

There are techniques that can be used, like extracting the FTL
templates to the file system, which seem to boost the page rendering
speed for some applications.

-Ted.