This is not a bug per se.  The xhtml theme extends the simple theme.
If a template doesn't exist in the xhtml theme it will fall back the
simple theme.  From a performance perspective, you simple need to copy
the simple theme hidden.ftl to the xhtml directory.  This will allow
freemarker to cache it properly.