Quoting the doc: "

Common static content that is needed by the framework (JavaScript and CSS
files, etc.) is served automatically by the FilterDispatcher filter. Any
request starting with "/struts/" denotes that static content is required,
and then mapping the value after "/struts/" to common packages in Struts 2
and, optionally in the application's class path.

By default, the following packages are searched:

  - org.apache.struts2.static
  - template

Additional packages can be specified by providing a comma separated list to
the configuration parameter named "packages" (configured in web.xml for the
FilterDispatcher filter). When specifying additional static content, you
should be careful not to expose sensitive configuration information (i.e.
database password)."
//I haven't used it myself :)
musachy