Hi Dave,

Thanks for that.. I will have a look at the VisitorValidator tomorrow (its 1
AM here :P )
I am sort of in the same position as you (using Hibernate objects at the web
layer)... I have given that
a thought before (annotating the hibernate objects with validation
annotation). But that will tie up the
hibernate objects to Struts, wouldnt it? Might not be a problem if the user
of the object is just the webapp..

Anyway...just to clarify what you have there..:

1. Annotate the object with struts validation annotation. In my example,
something  like:

   public class Customer{

   @RequiredStringValidator(message = "You must enter a value for username.")
         public String username;

2. Annotate the Action class

    @Validation
   public class CustomerAction {

       public List<Customer> customer = new ArrayList<Customer>();

       @Validations (
              visitorFields = {
                     @VisitorFieldValidator(fieldName = "customer ",
message="", appendPrefix=true)
              }
        )
       public String execute(){

And hopefully if everything works right, the validation should work?
Not sure if I can eliminate the <s:fieldErrors/> ... since I'm using
"simple" theme - my understanding is that with "simple" theme, I have to
specifically write the actionErrors & fieldErrors. Could be wrong though...
(I'm new to Struts 2).
Also... with your @Validations above.. if you specify message="", wouldnt
that create an extra empty error message? I experienced that before.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how I go with this tomorrow.

Cheers.

WiB.

On 3/14/07, Dave Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just a quick followup regarding annotations:

--- Dave Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't know if this is a "better way" or not and it
> does not use annotations (at least not yet), but...

If you annotate the class contained in the collection
the @VisitorFieldValidator still works.

This won't work for me, because my class is being
generated by HibernateTools (for now, anyway; I may
switch to annotated POJOs) so I still need to use the
XML validation config, but there you go.

d.