Spring generally requires that the no-arg constructor be accessible. It ought
to be unless you explicitly override it in your class and mark it private.
The only time I care about the instantiation of beans at startup is during
development, where a quick application restart is helpful. When I am working
on a piece of functionality, particularly one that involves interaction
between the actions and the gui, I find myself restarting the application
fairly frequently. In my case, I have connections to multiple databases and
some other very expensive resources that I am allowing Spring to create and
inject into the action objects. It would be a great timesaver during
development if only the stuff that I am using gets instantiated.

It looks like your are correct and my only alternatives are to submit at
JIRA or try to fix it myself. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,

Marco