Is there a one-stop grid that identifies what each of these symbols
represent and if/when they are even necessary?

If there were, I believe it would be here

* http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/ognl.html

I checked WebWork in Action, and there doesn't seem to be one there either.

So, it is something a volunteer could compile and add to the documentation.

I'm sure that once it was available, many of the old WW hands would
peer-review it.

-Ted.