I have the same issue. atm I send everything to !input which is by default
excluded from validation.

But try looking at something like this in your struts.xml:
<interceptor-ref name="crudStack">
                <param name="validation.excludeMethods">edit,create</param>
</interceptor-ref>

I haven't tried it yet, not quite sure how it works.
You can see here that by default, input, back and cancel are excluded from
validation. (this comes from struts-default.xml):
                <interceptor-ref name="validation">
                    <param name="excludeMethods">input,back,cancel</param>
                </interceptor-ref>