Rick Schumeyer wrote:
I'm trying to follow the directions at
  http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/tiles-plugin.html
but with no success. At the moment, I am only trying to get the app running with tiles configured...I'm not actually using tiles yet!

I get this error:
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.apache.struts2.tiles.StrutsTilesListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/digester/Digester

Any ideas?

Looks like you haven't added Commons Digester to WEB-INF/lib. See below:

This is what I have done so far:

1) I don't understand step 1 in the web page...I'm not using maven...do I need to put something somewhere or not?

If you aren't using Maven, you need to manage dependencies by hand. When you add a dependency on the Struts Tiles Plugin, Maven knows to pull in Tiles, and everything Tiles depends on.

2) I put the contents for step 2 in my web.xml

<listener>
<listener-class>org.apache.struts2.tiles.StrutsTilesListener</listener-class>
</listener>

3) I put the contents for step 3 in example.xml (I am using the struts blank application)

<result-types>
<result-type name="tiles" class="org.apache.struts2.views.tiles.TilesResult" />
</result-types>

4) I copied the three tiles jars into my project (struts2-tiles-plugin-2.0, tiles-api-2.0, tiles-core-2.0)
The directions only mention the plugin...wouldn't I need all of them?

Yes, you would. The directions are assuming you use Maven, and Maven takes care of this for you. You'll need to check the Tiles documentation to determine what its dependencies are and include them.

5) I try to run the blank app and get the error.

L.