Unfortonutalely,
I don't have any class that invokes System.exit() nor Spring scheduler.
Nothing particular happens before tomcat shutdown (see logs).
And No database is backed up or restarted during this time.
This is really strange (and critical) and I suspect that it comes from
Struts.

Tomcat listens on port 8009 (I think) for a shutdown command. Try
changing the port in your Tomcat configuration and see if the problems
goes away. I have read of weird situations where there are multiple
installations of Tomcat and one incorrectly configured installation
would take down another installation when the shutdown command was
issued because the port number wasn't unique to each installation.

HTH
Roger