btw, Dave, to answer a couple of your q's below:

>> <s:textfield name="dept.deptName"
>>              label="Dept Name"
>>              value="dept.deptName"
>>              size="10" />

>If dept (the Department) is already loaded then the
>value="dept.deptName" is not necessary; bean values
>will be handled automagically... I don't know if this
>is the problem, but as another response hinted at, I'd
>remove it.

Dropping the value does not seem to work - I get a blank field (but then I
may not have the "bean" right). And I would expected that to occur, even
though I've read what you're referring to. The above should look like this:
<s:textfield name="dept.deptName" label="Dept Name" value="%{dept.deptName}"
/>

>Just out of curiosity, what happens if you put an
><s:property value="dept"/> in the JSP? You should get
>a default Java toString (unless you've overridden it
>:)
I get this as output:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
basically, what I'd expect - a reference to the obj.

So, as far as the beer goes, I agree. I do owe you one though ...

shadman