To: <user@struts.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:02 PM
Subject: email field validation in struts-2

Hi,
I have just started learning Struts-2. I am using sruts2-blank application
on Tomcat server. I added email field in login file. Problem I have is
validation is failing. Even if I put email address in email field, framework
comes back with the error message from my validation.XML file(Email field
required).
 I see following error on the server...
SEVERE: ParametersInterceptor - [setParameters]: Unexpected Exception
catched: Error setting expression 'useremail' with value '[Ljava.lang.String
;@8cd4db'

I would appreciate any help on this.

Leena

Here are my files ...
Login.jsp

<s:form action="Login">
   <s:textfield key="username"/>
   <s:password key="password" />
   <s:textfield key="useremail" />
   <s:submit/>
</s:form

Login-validation.xml

<validators>
   <field name="useremail">
           <field-validator type="requiredstring">
               <message key="requiredstring"/>
       </field-validator>
   </field>

   <field name="username">
       <field-validator type="requiredstring">
           <message key="requiredstring"/>
       </field-validator>
   </field>
   <field name="password">
       <field-validator type="requiredstring">
           <message key="requiredstring"/>
       </field-validator>
   </field>
</validators>

Login.java

/*
* $Id: Login.java 471756 2006-11-06 15:01:43Z husted $
*
* Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
* or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
* distributed with this work for additional information
* regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
* to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
* "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
* with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
*
*  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
*
* Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
* software distributed under the License is distributed on an
* "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
* KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
* specific language governing permissions and limitations
* under the License.
*/

package example;

public class Login extends ExampleSupport {

   public String execute() throws Exception {

       if (isInvalid(getUsername())) return INPUT;

       if (isInvalid(getPassword())) return INPUT;

       return SUCCESS;
   }

   private boolean isInvalid(String value) {
       return (value == null || value.length() == 0);
   }

   private String username;

   public String getUsername() {
       return username;
   }

   public void setUsername(String username) {
       this.username = username;
   }

   private String password;

   public String getPassword() {
       return password;
   }

   public void setPassword(String password) {
       this.password = password;
   }

   private String userEmail;

   public String getUserEmail() {
       System.out.println("email is  getUserEmail(Login) " + userEmail);
       return userEmail;
   }

   public void setUserEmail(String userEmail) {
       System.out.println("email is  setUserEmail (Login)" + userEmail);
       this.userEmail = userEmail;

package.properties have property defined ,
useremail = Email