I got it to work with 2 steps.  1)  I downloaded the 2.0.3 version of Tiles.
Note that this requires knowing the download url, because the current Tiles
download page is for v2.0.4 only.  The difference in the download url is
only the version number.  2)  The Tiles DTD seems to have changed.  The
'put' tag is now 'put-attribute'.  Of course, that is a Tiles issue, not a
Struts issue.

As a commentary, omitting an important and required dependency from a
well-understood sister-project seems to argue some sort of insanity in the
Struts-2 release process.  (you say that you had previously raised the
issue, yet they still failed to include it.)

- Ray Clough