Usually, ready for primetime is used in connection with code quality,
and I don't think we have a problem there :)

Most of your post speaks to a having a lockstep set of implementation
practices, that say "do it this way and don't deviate". Struts on
Rails, so to speak. No, we don't have that, and it's unlikely that we
ever will. The nature of the ASF beast is that we have many people
from many different teams working on the codebase, and so it ends up
representing many points of view.

In terms of a stack, the most popular is
Struts/Apache/Spring/Hibernate, or SASH.

* http://sourcelabs.com/?page=software&sub=sash

We've have talked about creating a single-stack Struts distribution
that would bundle these sorts of thing together, but no one seems to
have the time.

As for timetables, the best bet is to focus on what's available now,
since there's no telling when anything will ship or be tagged GA.
We're all volunteers, and our time ebbs and flows.

-Ted.

 ***  Please don't blast me for asking.  I'm simply looking for educated and
objective feedback ***

Is your company using Struts2?  We are starting a Proof of Concept this week
and I honestly don't even know where to begin!  I have read so many
different viewpoints about S2 that I can't tell whether I'm coming or
going.  What interfaces to implement?  What companion frameworks to
leverage?  What interceptor stacks to use?  What about the choice of UI
toolkits?  I read last night how the ajax support was being extracted from
S2 and made a plug-in.  I realize these are not easy questions, but I am
leading a Struts 2 subcommittee and I am being asked for recommendations and
timetables.  Do you think S2 is ready for prime time?

Thanks,
Scott