I've used to doing something like this in Ruby on Rails:

if @object.updateAttributes(params[:object])
   flash[:notice]="Update succesful!"
   redirect_to :action=>'list'
else ...

Now that I'm using Struts 2 for a project I tried doing something similar:

try {
   objectService.save(getObject());
   addActionMessage("Update succesful!");
   return "redirect";
} catch (...)

But I found out that the actionmessages don't show in the redirected action
anymore (probably because then it's another instance of that class that
doesn't have the same actionmessages property), even though I have the
<s:actionmessage />-tag. Is there a mechanism to pass messages from actions
that survive a redirect? Or should I just put them into the users session?