Sharad, thank you for the answer.

Keeping in mind what you said, I tried to make it work like this:

 <s:iterator value="manyNames" status="cnt">
     <s:checkbox name="manyNames" >
          <s:property value="[${cnt}]"/>
      </s:checkbox>
 </s:iterator>

This populates the checkboxes, but when I submit the data, all I can
get is ArrayList of true booleans: [true, true...], and I can not use
that. I need something like:

[x]Tom
[ ]Dick
[x]Harry

And after submit, the list should be: [Tom, Harry].
The problem is that I can not make checkbox return String value
instead of boolean. There must be a way to do so, because
s:checkboxlist can return ArrayList<String>, but I don't know how to
do so by using s:checkbox.

Regards,
Andreja