Assuming your S2 actions are 'pathed' differently ( i.e. s2 actions are
mapped to .action , while s1 actions are mapped to .do ), then specifying
the url pattern only for s2 actions ( /*.action ) will have the intended
effect.

As far as side effects go, it's really dependent on your application.  The
ones they mention on the docs relate to  moving an application that hasn't
been using open session in view to that pattern.  You may have objects that
you keep around for a long time ( i.e.  in a  http session ), which you then
reattach to the session when you want to do do work against it.  When you
have ad-hoc session management, you might have gotten away with
reattaching/detaching/flushing/updating whenever you feel like it because
you're creating a new hib session whenever you need to..

With OSFV, since the session is already created upon request, you may end up
with a couple exceptions because the session is always there and those
operations ( depending on when you do it, and in what order ) may throw
exceptions.

At best I can tell you, as the docs do, is to minimize the objects you keep
around for a while.  For those that you do, reattach them early on, and
watch your transaction boundaries.

Ask away if you have particular questions :-)

hth,
-a