Thanks brother.  This is what I wound up doing, but it sure seemed weird!

Why should properties available to a page somehow be made invisible while
looping?

Parent Id: <s:property value="model.parentId" />  //works fine here!

<s:set name="pid" value="model.parentId" scope="request"></s:set>  //GOOFY!

<s:iterator value="notes">

<s:url id="url" action="%{baseActionClass}_edit">

   <s:param name="model.parentId"> <s:property value="#request.pid" /> </
s:param>

</s:url>

...  CRAZY!

<s:a href="%{url}">Edit</s:a>