Struts2 provides automatic type conversion facilities, which makes life much easier in these cases. With Struts1, however, you need to handle the type conversion yourself. You can make this less painful by using the validation framework (so that by the time you get to doing the type conversion, you already know the data is in the right format).

There are, of course, varying opinions on how/where to place such type conversion logic. My preference is to handle it in the action, either directly or via a helper class. YMMV.

L.

Viplav Kallepu wrote:
Thanks for the reply.. but the variables in the actionform's datatype will
be string and DTO's will be corresponding oracle dataType. I am not able to
understand the advantage of writing the interface. May be I am missing the
concept. Actually my doubt is whether I can write type conversion codes in
Action Class and pass the variables to DTO or should I write another class
where datatype conversions are made. My understanding says we shouldn't
write type conversion code in Action Class . Even if I use "
BeanUtils.copyProperties"  where  should  I place this code. Please  help
me.