Simple seems to be the closest, but unfortunately it is still run
through the Freemarker templates, so it has the same overhead that the
other themes have.

You can, change the simple theme to remove those <li> & <ul> the same
way any other theme can be modified.

But I'd love to find a way to use Struts 2 without theme support at
all, with CSS and some good patterns you can achieve the same thing
with a lot less overhead.

 (*Chris*)