De: Ray Clough [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: Lunes, 16 de Julio de 2007 08:12 p.m.
Para: Struts Users Mailing List
Asunto: Re: Struts 2 Theme that doesn't generate extra HTML

I always try to use JSTL and JSP-EL when I can, but there used to be bugs in
the process of getting the JSTL tags to work with the value stack.  Are
those problems fixed in 2.0.8?.

Then there is the question of Ajax in S2.  Completely abandoning the S2 tags
will require using Ajax from an independent source, since the S2 tags are
all tied into Dojo.

What would be nice is a "zero-config" theme which just renders the basic
html tags, provides access to the value stack, and element-specific error
messages, and doesn't prevent using our own css and styles.  That really
irks me with the S2 tags - sometimes they won't let you specify your own
styles.

The 'themes' problem is one of the core twitches in S2 which I find more
than irritating.  I don't claim to have looked into the architecture of the
implementation, but if I follow the discussion correctly, all pages go thru
freemarker.  The inclusion of features which cannot be escaped, and which
rely on other packages which are largely black boxes makes an app developed
in S2 fragile.  As a developer, I have enough on my plate learning S2
without having to learn freemarker, dojo, ognl, etc. in order to effectively
use the S2 features.  All those packages should be optional.

However, the thing about S2 which irks me most is the non-standard
expression language which sometimes uses one syntax and sometimes another.

- Ray C.

- Ray Clough
[EMAIL PROTECTED]