I agree it would be nice if you could make totally clean URLs with Struts 2 -
as if you had each action registered as servlets in your web.xml.
Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible. The only solution I can think
of is to use the UrlRewriteFilter.

http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite

While this solution would work, it'd require duplicating your action paths
in urlrewrite.xml. I guess the best solution is to write some sort of
adapter for the UrlRewriteFilter that sweeps your struts.xml and creates
rules to forward all action names (w/o an extension) to your actions with an
extension. In turn, you'd have to write outgoing rules that strip off the
extension from URLs.

If someone has a more elegant solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Matt