I have a solution that seems to work. Feedback on whether it is a good solution or rather, why it is not, would be wonderful.

Executive summary:
 map *.action to struts filter
 add main.action as the first entry in web.xml's welcome list

Have all user-visible urls look like directories:

  http://www.junitfactory.com/demo

For urls that will be handled by an action, add a file main.action to the directory.

Original post is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user%40struts.apache.org/msg63838.html

Kevin

http://www.junitfactory.com
You send us code. We send back tests. For free.

Perssy Llamosas wrote:
You can't get rid of the ".action", at least in my tests I have not being able to map a clean url without the ".action". Even the Restful2ActionMapper requires a .action at the end.