I need to do something similar - is it possible to have conditional visitor
validation in Struts 2? AFAICT, it isn't.

Basically, I'd like to have a couple of validation rules for a drop-down.
One rule is that the user must select at least one choice when the drop-down
has its radio button selected:

    <field-validator type="fieldexpression" short-circuit="true">
        reason != 'partner' or (reason == 'partner' and partnerPositionID !=
'_CHOOSE_')
        <message>You must choose a position where you worked with this
person, or choose "Other..."</message>
    </field-validator>

This works. Now I want to require a number of fields if the person selects
the "Other..." option. The validation syntax starts to get complicated at
this point. I'd like to do something like:

reason != 'partner' or (reason == 'partner' and partnerPositionID !=
'OTHER')  -> kick in visitor validation.

I still think the above syntax is confusing (ref http://tinyurl.com/2htw2k),
I'd much rather write something like:

reason == 'partner' and partnerPositionID == 'OTHER' -> show message

I'm guessing it's possible to write my own FieldExpressionValidator that
inverses the true/false outcome?

Why do I need conditional visitor validation?

I'm trying to create a "component" that can be re-used in the backend (model
object w/ its own validation rules) and on the front-end (using JSP tag
files or the s:component tag).

If there's an easier way to do this, please let me know. Of course, I could
use JSF/Wicket/Tapestry - and that might be the outcome if this is not
possible.

Thanks,

Matt