Final answer: we implemented a custom ActionMapper that handles a URL string
that doesn't involve a ? to separate the query parameters. Stuck a reference
to it in struts.properties:

struts.mapper.class=mypackage.MyActionMapper

Building a new ActionMapper isn't terribly difficult. It helps to define
your expected URLs with a regular expression, then use a precompiled
pattern. Ours looks something like:

private static String NAMESPACE_REGEX = "...";
private static String ACTION_REGEX = "...";
private static String METHOD_REGEX = "...";
private static String PARAMS_REGEX = "...";

private static String URI_REGEX = (concatenate the four above)

private static Pattern URI_PATTERN = Pattern.compile(URI_REGEX);

Then, in getMapping(), pull out the URI (similar to DefaultActionMapper) and
call

Matcher m = URI_PATTERN.matcher(uri);

If you get a match, create a new ActionMapping and set its components based
on the matching groups:

mapping.setNamespace(m.group(1));
mapping.setName(m.group(1));

etc.

You can parse the parameter section and build a map to pass to
mapping.setParams().

Using a precompiled pattern may or may not be the most efficient possible
solution, but it helps you define exactly what URIs you expect. I recommend
throwing a bunch of possibilities at it in your unit test code with various
components present and missing. If you're a little unsure about regular
expressions, build some unit tests for those, too. Sun has a decent write-up
in their Java documentation:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/regex/Pattern.html

Especially read the "Groups and Capturing" section, it's a handy tool to
have in your portfolio.

We may yet discover why we couldn't get query parameters, but this works for
now. Good luck.