I simply configured my default set of interceptors as follows:
<interceptor-ref name="validation" >
        <param name="excludeMethods">
                execute
        </param>
</interceptor-ref>
<interceptor-ref name="workflow" >
        <param name="excludeMethods">
                execute
        </param>
</interceptor-ref>

This makes sure that the validation doesn't occur when the action is initially
fired.  You can add more methods to the list if you'd like to.

Session