> I have a struts 1.2.4 application, and i have log4j.jar and
> commons-logging.jar in classpath In my application i use log4j for logging,
> i wanted to know what would be effect of removing commons-logging.jarfile
> from classpath

Commons Logging isn't really a logger itself.  It is a framework that
allows library writers (like the Struts team) to write their code
without worrying what logger you will eventually use.  You can use
Log4j, java.util.log, a simple logger that just writes to the console,
or practially any other logging system.  So you need the
commons-logging jar (which is very small) to support what Struts is
written to, and you need log4j so that you can have a rich, extensible
logging environment.
  (*Chris*)