It's not clear what you are trying to do ; as long as validate=true, the
form should get validated. You an have an action mapping <action
name="editForm" ... validate="true"> , and on hitting the save button,
change the <form>'s  action to "editForm" using javascript so that the right
action-mapping is invoked