Re Spring IOC, I agree. The back end of the application operates using IOC, I
just haven't got round to finding out what I need to do to Struts to get it
to inject into an Action class, yet.

Anyway, I have got to the bottom of the problem which was that despite
earlier assurances, I hadn't configured the correct bean in Spring as
scope="prototype", so I was always getting back the same user object. One
for the Spring forum I think.

Thanks for your assistance.
M.

I would reduce your problem to a simple class that
does nothing but access only the HttpSession and see
if the problem still exists, then build up around that
until something blows up.

I would also consider using Spring's DI/IoC to inject
a user service object (generally not the same class as
a user itself) into the action rather than accessing
Spring's application context directly.

d.