If you need to prevent the request you would need it. Topics have
changed quite a bit between releases, if you are using 2.0.9, then the
topic takes 3 parameters, and it is published before the request,
after the request and when there is an error.

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/ajax-tags.html

musachy