Sorry about the delay, APEC holiday (don't ask).

I'm not doing any fancy scripting just simple stuff like using jsp el in the
s:if  and s:property tags. I know that I could use the OGNL equivalents and
in some situations do, but it's more a matter of standards.

Our team maintain and develop websites using a number of technologies
including struts1, struts2, custom java and .NET which we have implemented
or inherited. On the java side we have spent considerable effort to
consolidate the technologies we use so that we can avoid stretching
ourselves too thin. Productivity is improved as we are using technologies we
are familiar with without having to think how is this done using this
particular technology

We decided on JSTL, JSP EL and velocity for the display technologies as
these covered every project we were working on. And we thought we were
covered on the struts2 front.

Don't misinterpret what I am saying, I am not saying JSP EL is better than
OGNL. In fact OGNL clearly has significant advantages. But, and it's a big
hairy one, OGNL can't easily be introduced into legacy apps we maintain.

I'm not saying don't have OGNL, but rather let us have a choice. I find it
difficult to believe that there isn't a simple solution to this problem.

The upshot is that we will probably move away from using S2 tags where we
can and only use the S2 form tags.

Z.