I don't understand the use case you are describing, but there has been
no development discussions or decisions regarding reducing support for
FreeMarker and Velocity. There are several FreeMarker and Velocity
examples in the ShowCase, and resources like the CodeBehind Plugin,
fully support FTL and VM alongside of JSP.

Of course, to use FTL or VM, we still need to use the appropriate
result types, but I believe the same is true of WebWork.

-Ted.