You can find the key features of acegi here - http://www.acegisecurity.org/. I see the advantages as being able to customize the authentication and authorization from within the scope of the web application, and not external configuration via an app server. But then, this also depends on the app server.

/Ian

wild_oscar wrote:
In the web app I'm currently developing (which uses JAAS authentication),
I've done the following:

1) Create an HttpServletRequestWrapper to override the isUserInRole method
2) Create an AnnotationRoles class to annotate my actions if they require
particular roles
3) Create an AnnotationRolesInterceptor (as described in this forum) to
determine if the user has the role required by the annotation

What are the advantages of using acegi over this custom implementation? And
what is the license model of acegi?

Ian Roughley wrote:
If you are not using container managed persistence, where the HttpRequest values are being set in the environment, you probably don't want to use the Principal or PrincipalAware interface, or even to wrap the HttpServletRequest (this email was in response to using a servlet wrapper to re-implement code already present in s2).

Options I've used are creating an interceptor to access the security context (I've not used JAAS personally), and then create an annotation to signify actions/methods that need security information assigned to them. The same annotation, or another, could also be used to declaratively configure those actions that require a specific role from the security context in order to be invoked.

/Ian