From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:31 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Ajax Call from a html link

Just an FYI, that article is a little outdated... APT's feature set is a
bit larger than the article talks about now for one thing, although in
glancing over it again, I don't see anything that's not applicable now.

Also note that the link to Rick Reumann's article is no longer valid, it
is now here:
http://www.learntechnology.net/content/ajax/ajax_select_alter.jsp ...
Rick also updated that article for APT fairly recently, so it's even
better than it was.

Lastly, I didn't provide a link to my own book in that article!  D'oh!
Here's one: http://apress.com/book/search?searchterm=zammetti&act=search
chapters 4 and 6 there are what's of interest, although as the note in
the article says, they aren't based on the latest version, so although
the underlying concepts are pretty much the same, some of the details
are slightly different now.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

On Wed, October 10, 2007 12:50 pm, Ted Husted wrote:
> I believe this exact example is included with the AjaxParts Taglib,
> which works well with Struts (1 or 2). If anyone is going to be using
> Ajax and JSP tags together, AjaxParts is a great way to go  (and easy
> to learn!).
>
>  * http://www.omnytex.com/articles/apt/
>
> HTH, Ted.
> <http://husted.com/ted/blog>
>

> On 10/10/07, aarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a jsp page named "tvshow.jsp", wherein I am populating the
>> characters dropdown as and when the TV Show dropdown value changes ,
>> by calling the javascript in the "onchange()" of the select box.
>> have added a html link, and I want to call the same function from my
>> action class and I need to populate the character dropdown by
>> clicking the html link. I am stuck up with this issue.Character
>> dropdown is not populated with the data from tha action class. Need
>> some help on this please!
>>
>> <%@ page import="java.util.*"%>
>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-html"; prefix="html" %>
>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic"; prefix="logic"
>> %> <script language="javascript">  function retrieveURL(url) {
>>     if (window.XMLHttpRequest) { // Non-IE browsers
>>       req = new XMLHttpRequest();
>>       req.onreadystatechange = processStateChange;
>>       try {
>>         req.open("GET", url, true);
>>
>>       } catch (e) {
>>         alert(e);
>>       }
>>       req.send(null);
>>     } else if (window.ActiveXObject) { // IE
>>       req = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
>>       if (req) {
>>         req.onreadystatechange = processStateChange;
>>         req.open("GET", url, true);
>>         req.send();
>>
>>       }
>>     }
>>   }
>>
>>   function processStateChange() {
>>     if (req.readyState == 4) { // Complete
>>       if (req.status == 200) { // OK response
>>         document.getElementById("characters").innerHTML =
>> req.responseText;
>>             } else {
>>         alert("Problem: " + req.statusText);
>>       }
>>     }
>>   }
>>
>> </script>
>>

>> <form action="ShowCharacters">
>> /jsp/tvshow.jsp Click here
>>
>>                 TV Show:
>>                 <select name="TVShowSelect"
>> onChange="retrieveURL('ShowCharacters.do?tvShow=' + this.value);">
>>                 <option value="Lissie Maguire"> Lissie Maguire
</option>
>>                         <option value="That's so Raven"> That's so
>> Raven </option>
>>                         <option value="Dhoom machale"> Dhoom machale
>> </option>
>>                 </select>

>>                 Characters:
>>         </form>
>>
>> ShowCharacters.jsp
>>
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED] import="java.util.ArrayList"%>

> [...]

----Notice Regarding Confidentiality----
This email, including any and all attachments, (this "Email") is intended only
for the party to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
confidential or privileged.  Sierra Systems Group Inc. and its affiliates
accept no responsibility for any loss or damage suffered by any person
resulting from any unauthorized use of or reliance upon this Email.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or other use of this Email is prohibited.  Please notify us of the
error in communication by return email and destroy all copies of this Email.
Thank you.