Have you tried to use a struts2 tag with OGNL? If I am understanding
correctly, you could use -

@s.property value="@[EMAIL PROTECTED]('OGNL.pathTo.variable')

Of course, I don't know freemarker, and this is assuming you can reach
the variable from OGNL.

-W

On 11/9/07, Scott Kingdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am very used to using JSP taglibs and el functions for formatting
> text. In my current application I am using Struts2 with Freemarker as
> the templating engine. I need to format a phone number that is pulled
> from the database as 8888888888 to be (888)888-8888. Using el
> functions you can just call a static method from some class. This
> would be nice since I already have that static method and it is used
> elsewhere in the app.
>
> I would use JSP for this, but our template is already built in
> Freemarker. There are also come JSP pages that use this phone
> formatter as well. Actually I have already created the el function tag
> and have been using it all over in the app.
>
> I have tried several things including trying to use el functions in
> freemarker or even including JSP pages from freemarker.
>
> Any ideas how this is done in the Struts2/Freemarker world? I am open
> to any idea.

Wesley Wannemacher
President, Head Engineer/Consultant
WanTii, Inc.