I personally tried with struts tags and JSTL tags I decided to give up
after a while (I solved it by creating my own isUserInRole tag.)

This in fact would be a nice addition to the struts 2 tags, it even
can be implemented by delegating to the if tag implementation, so that
you can have automatic <s:else> compatibility. :)