hi,

I fed up guessing so looked at the sources.

The key parameters in this issue are these:

- delay: "How long to wait before fetching the content (in milliseconds)"
- updateFreq: "How often to reload the content (in milliseconds)"
- preload: "Load content when page is loaded"

The closest I could get to the "would be" a BUG was in file:
plugins/dojo/src/main/resources/org/apache/struts2/static/dojo/struts/widget/BindDiv.js
line 258
if(this.isShowing() && this.preload && this.updateFreq <= 0 && this.delay <= 0) {
   this.refresh();

Obviously if you set either updateFreq or delay > 0 then it would not
refresh upon startup.

I tried modifying that source to:
if(this.isShowing() && (this.preload || (this.updateFreq <= 0 && this.delay <= 0))) {
   this.refresh();
}

but did not work either, from there on I need more understanding of the
intrinsics of the DOJO library. I will keep digging it further as soon as I have
a chance.

Any help greatly appreciated.

regards,
Giovanni

PS: will this require to open a JIRA issue?