This is chapter 3, right? I just ran the command "mvn clean compile" from my local copy and everything compiles correctly. Are you compiling from an IDE? If so, do you have all the JAR files in the project?
/Ian

--
Ian Roughley
From Down & Around, Inc.

Robert Harrison wrote:
Dear All,
I am working through Roughley's book (Struts-2.0.9) and am having trouble
with the first example using annotations. The stack trace I get is:
December 10, 2007

December 10, 2007

org.apache.maven.BuildFailureException: Compilation failure

/home/rharri/workspace/app/src/main/java/com/fdar/apress/s2/ZCAction.java:[5,1]
cannot find symbol

symbol: class Result

@Result(name="success",value="/jsp/success.jsp",type=
ServletDispatcherResult.class)

at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:560)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:480)

at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:459)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)

at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)

at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)

at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)

at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java
:39)

DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilationFailureException: Compilation
failure

/home/rharri/workspace/app/src/main/java/com/fdar/apress/s2/ZCAction.java:[5,1]
cannot find symbol

symbol: class Result

@Result(name="success",value="/jsp/success.jsp",type=
ServletDispatcherResult.class)

at org.apache.maven.plugin.AbstractCompilerMojo.execute(
AbstractCompilerMojo.java:516)

at org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilerMojo.execute(CompilerMojo.java:114)

at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(
DefaultPluginManager.java:443)

at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)

... 16 more

Here is the relevant portion of web.xml:

    <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
    <filter-class>org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher
</filter-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>actionPackages</param-name>
      <param-value>com.fdar.apress.s2,com.apress.s2</param-value>
    </init-param>
  </filter>

(there is no filter mapping for struts2)

I can't find any setup differences in the Struts Wiki. The only similar
error I found using Google suggested  deleting the Struts and openSymphony
jars. I did and Maven re-installed the jars and gave the same error.

Please, what simple/stupid thing am I missing?