Well, it seems my question got people stumped as much as I am!

For an alternative solution, I would love advice on a (working) regex
expression that would approximate the class of characters I am aiming at:
say all the letters of the Latin1 set (ISO-8859-1).  If we could eventually
supplement that with Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic and Hebrew alphabets, that
would probably cover more than all the ground I need.