I've got a page that uses s:optiontransferselect, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm now trying to scale up this app, and just over 1000 entries and the freemarker template bombs out:

FreeMarker template error!

Error on line 264, column 13 in template/simple/optiontransferselect.ftl
stack.findString(parameters.doubleListValue) is undefined.
It cannot be assigned to doubleItemValue
The problematic instruction:
----------
==> assignment: doubleItemValue=stack.findString(parameters.doubleListValue) [on line 264, column 13 in template/simple/optiontransferselect.ftl] in user-directive s.iterator [on line 256, column 9 in template/simple/optiontransferselect.ftl] in include "/${parameters.templateDir}/simple/optiontransferselect.ftl" [on line 24, column 1 in template/xhtml/optiontransferselect.ftl]

Java backtrace for programmers:
freemarker.core.InvalidReferenceException: Error on line 264, column 13 in template/simple/optiontransferselect.ftl
stack.findString(parameters.doubleListValue) is undefined.
It cannot be assigned to doubleItemValue

The actual number is confusing: It works with 1125 total in list2 (with 2 selected and instead in list1), but with 1126 possible values it crashes. Usually the size at which something breaks is indicative, but the only thing I can think of is 1126 -2 (selected) = 1024 + 100 ?

Clearly I need a different solution here, but this is a really bad failure mode, as that error cascades into sitemesh crashing, and results in no page at all. If this tool has a limit, I think it would be better to drop entries beyond the limit and still result in a functional page.

Opinions? Any ideas where this limit comes from? Quick searches for freemarker limits found nothing...

-Dale