As the matter of fact, I found several ways in which you can modify the outcome of the tag.

The basic (and in my opinion, a hack) is to look at the generated HTML code and then use your own CSS to modify the look and feel of your view. I'm currently using the "simple" theme and in all my "textfield" tags I don't see any span associated, but if you do, take a look at the generated HTML code and see whether there is any span associated there (this is how I figured how to modify the errors generated with the <s:fieldErrors/>.

If you want to get fancy, you can certainly write your own template (freemarker). This gives you full support as to how to modify the entire HTML code. I would warn you about this one, since it adds additional code that unless you are familiar with, you may not want to touch, so consider yourself warned :) - This helped me changed some errors to use a "div" instead of "ul, li" combination (in the generated HTML code). This is done using the "template" and "templateDir" attributes within the UI tags. Playing with this can prove very entertaining. I originally started by copying the template (ftl template) from the source distribution and modifying it so that I can see how things can be done (and also to learn some Freemarker).

Note that even if you are not using the *simple* theme, the <s:head/> is meant to give you additional CSS for you. So consider this as you do your UI. This is a practice I don't like since personally, I prefer to have more control over the produced HTML code, however it's up to you.

Good luck!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks Alberto.

Which class contains style for <s:textfield .../>? I need to customize it so
that no <span ../> is around it and the text associated with it is in bold.

e.g., <s:text field key="some key"/>

If the value of the "some key" is Password, I want the "Password" is in
bold.

Any suggestion?

Thanks again.