http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork/wikidocs/WebWork%20Freemarker%20Support.html

default-encoding needs to be set to ISO-8859-1 in freemarker.properties
more specifically:
default_encoding=ISO-8859-1 template_update_delay=5 locale=no_NO
HTHMartin______________________________________________Disclaimer and
confidentiality noteEverything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to
the official business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature
and Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended
recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within this
transmission.> Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:23:01 -0800> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: user@struts.apache.org> Subject: Character encoding problems with Struts 2
and Freemarker or Velocity> > > I am setting default_encoding=UTF-8 in
freemarker.properties, and leaving the> struts encoding in default.properties
untouched (i.e.> struts.i18n.encoding=UTF-8). When I use a struts action to
forward to a test> page with Spanish text, without specifying the type (thus
defaulting to> jsp), it outputs fine. However, if the action forwards to the
same page, but> specifying the type as freemarker, the output is garbled. It is
also garbled> for Velocity, making me think that the problem must lie somewhere
within> Struts 2.> > Even if I subclass FreemarkerManager, override the
createConfiguration> method and explicitly call
config.setDefaultEncoding("utf-8") here, and> specify this class as the
struts.freemarker.manager.classname in> struts.properties, it makes no
difference - the output is garbled.> > Does anybody know why this might be the
case?> > Thanks> > Jonny> > -- > View this message in context:
http://www.nabble.com/Character-encoding-problems-with-Struts-2-and-Freemarker-or-Velocity-tp14538951p14538951.html>
 Sent from the Struts - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.> > >