hi,

the issue seems to be fixed. It seems like a problem with the xhtml theme
thats not using .js files properly. i corrected the validation.js in xhtml
and ajax folders, validationClilent.js and created a corrected theme
(http://www.vitarara.org/cms/struts_2_cookbook/creating_a_theme : was vital
in helping me for steps:
http://thelittlefellow.blogspot.com/2008/01/eureka-eureka-got-soln-ajax-validations.html).
Now the ajax validations are happening fine.

I am posting a reply as it may be a help to some one who is looking for an
soln to the problem :)

hope this helps.

cheers,
ravi